Tuesday, May 20, 2003

ROSEMOND ON ADHD

Parenting guru John Rosemond has written just about the best thing I've yet read on the rise of ADHD, or Attention-Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder:
I am convinced - and I am definitely in the minority, but I am not alone - that ADHD is one of many prices we are paying for adopting, 30 to 40 years ago, a "psychological" approach to child rearing, an approach that has absolutely nothing in common with the child rearing practiced before that time.

The simple fact is that you cannot raise children two entirely different ways and arrive at the same outcome. In the 1950s and before, parents and teachers did not have the sorts of problems with children that parents and teachers are having today.

Hear, hear! That's why I usually refer to the condition as B-A-D. The great thing is, our pediatrician is the one who recommended the column to us. I like her more and more all the time.

No comments: