Thursday, December 04, 2003

I'M A 'NONE'?

How do you identify your religious affiliation? More and more people are identifying themselves with 'none':
Kellee Hom was raised in the Roman Catholic Church but never imagined she'd become a religious none.

No, not "nun." That's "none," as in "none of the above."

Hom is among a growing number of Americans who simply answer "none" or "no religion" when pollsters ask them their religious affiliation. Some "nones" identify themselves as atheists or agnostics, but the vast majority believe in God, pray and often describe themselves as "spiritual but not religious."

"My sense of God transcends all the different religions,'' said Hom, a clinical supervisor at Asian American Recovery Services in San Francisco, which helps people with substance-abuse problems. "It's an energy."

Cool, man. I can feel it! I can feel it! Oh...sorry.

You see it's all about the karm, man. Just ask Bruce Meservey:
Meservey says he is definitely a religious none.

"I believe, but I don't know what -- just in the universe as an entity, " he said. "I don't know if I believe in heaven or hell. It's all so ambiguous.

"I believe in karma,'' he said after a pause. "Don't screw you neighbor. It will come back to you one way or another. I pray once in a while. I kind of believe in a supreme being, but if you start trying to pin me down ...

"We are all part of the same thing,'' he added. "We are all part of each other and the animals and the Earth -- all part of one big thing.''

What we need are plaques in every courthouse with the One Commandment of None: "Don't screw you neighbor."

No comments: