Thursday, November 13, 2003

HELLO, I'M ALAN HAYDON-STEVENS-MANNING-CORNETT

Well, that's who I'd be if my parents, my wife's parents and then my wife and I had decided we should all combine surnames and hyphenate. Wouldn't that be cute? Yes, name combining is the hip thing for the liberated and sensitive among us:
In the latest departure from traditional marriage procedure, some American men are beginning to take their wives’ last names, either using the woman's name in addition to their own or nixing their given names completely....

Kelly Shubert-Coleman, 23, said her husband Jon, 29, chose to put his name before the hyphen because the Coleman often got left off.

“I actually wanted to combine them into one name, but hyphenating was enough for him."

The Shubert-Colemans decided to hyphenate because they wanted their kids to share their last name, and neither wanted to give up their individual identity.

Well, as someone who is "not up on modern marriages" as the article says, I would also point out this sort of nonsense is on the rise just as the institution of marriage itself is being eroded on every side. Not too surprising at all.

No comments: