Wednesday, September 10, 2003

ALABAMA'S 'CHRISTIAN' TAX HIKE FLAMES OUT

Ostensibly conservative Governor Bob Riley's massive tax reform hike went down in flames by a 2-1 margin. The interest to theosebes (other than theosebes headquarters has just moved to Alabama) was the attempt to sell the measure as "the Christian thing to do." I think the good folks of Alabama--religious to the core--indicated that they weren't falling for it. Yes, Christians have an obligation to the poor. No, I can't tell God "oh, I had government take care of that for me." I would think Bob Riley would know better. At least now he knows that Alabamans do.

UPDATE: The final numbers are in: "With 100 percent of precincts reporting, the vote was 866,623, or 68 percent, against the plan to 416,310, or 32 percent, for it."

No comments: