Wednesday, September 03, 2003

HILL'S SIN

Later today abortion doctor killer Paul Hill will be executed by lethal injection. Hill--a former Presbyterian minister--has no remorse for killing the doctor and his bodyguard:
"The sooner I am executed ... the sooner I am going to heaven," Hill said in a jailhouse interview. "I expect a great reward in heaven. I am looking forward to glory. I don't feel remorse."

"More people should act as I have acted," Hill added.

As an opponent of abortion, I will point out that Hill's abortion doctor target took far more life than Hill has. The doctor's victims were innocents, slain for convenience. But does that in any way justify Hill's actions?

No it does not.

"Vengeance is mine. I will repay, says the Lord." The first point to stress is that Hill has no standing, if you will, to exact the vengeance he took. There is no divine authorization for a lone gunman to start singling out sinners for personal retribution. Jesus told Pilate that His followers would not fight because "My kingdom is not of this world." God has authorized government as His arm of official retribution in this world (Romans 13:1-7). Now we recognize that governments are not always what they ought to be, nonetheless it is not my place to step into that role. I have confidence God will take care of any final retribution that needs to occur.

Finally, Hill's sin is one of arrogance. Every time I have seen him he demonstrates a smugness that is in no way reflective of the humility of Christ. He, indeed, shall gain his reward. The reward of an impenitent murderer.

No comments: