Saturday, August 07, 2004

THE LOVELY GREEN SHORES OF ATLANTIS

Like so many others for thousands of years, the myth of Atlantis has always fascinated me. It's one of those things that I've always wanted to be true. I tend to believe most ancient myth contains truth that is all too readily dismissed in our "enlightened" society. Geographer Ulf Erlingsson also believes that Atlantis was real, and in a new book argues that Atlantis was actually Ireland
Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

“I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it’s incredible,” he told Reuters. “Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains. I’ve looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle — Ireland.”

It's a fascinating theory, and he makes a convincing case. Somehow I sense the debate won't end here, though.

No comments: