Wednesday, August 11, 2004

NEW FONT FOR A NEW BIBLE

Seeking a new way to present one of the newer translations on the market (well, I use translation loosely--sorry couldn't resist) Tyndale House Publishers commissioned a new font for the New Living Translation:
For Brian Sooy, the way letters appear on a page is divine.

So the self-described font fanatic and owner of a graphic design firm was happy to get the call from the publishers of New Living Translation Bible to create a font for the nation's third most popular Bible, which is expected to sell up to 1.5 million copies this year....

They were looking for a new font that would make their Bible more compact and easier to read. A company art director, Tim Botts, knew Sooy and suggested him for the job.

Eighteen months later, Sooy finished the new font, which followed the style of the Bible's previous type, but incorporated more rounded letters, narrower lines and shorter stems.

Sooy called it "Lucerna," which means "lamp" in Latin. He said he was influenced by a Psalm that reads, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

Regrettably, I can find no illustration of the font itself.

Why, you ask, am I reading about fonts. Well, your humble servant has a fairly extensive library of books on typefaces, their history and design. I've even read D.B. Updike's two-volume history of typefaces, Printing Types. Pretty sad, I know. But I for one am quite jealous of Brian Sooy!

No comments: