Monday, April 03, 2006

FOCUS MAGAZINE: RELOADED

For the past several years I have written articles all along that Focus Magazine has been kind enough to publish. Through the grapevine I heard that Focus would cease publication. As you might imagine religious publications aren't exactly money making machines (for some reason my 'Bible Women We Love' issue idea hasn't gained any traction...), and I understand some of the editors actually have other things to do (read: a life). I have found Focus to be thoughtful and firmly Biblical without the kneejerk reactions one sometimes can find in religious publishing.

I was heartened today when a new issue of Focus arrived at my door. On the back it states: Revived, Revamped, Refocused. That's good to see, and I'm sure they could use your support. To subscribe to six bi-monthly issues (1 year) send $20 to Focus Magazine, 7854 LaBarrington Blvd, Powell, TN 37849.

3 comments:

Dr. Horrible said...

Just a thought (well, two):

1) Why does it have to have a dead tree version? Granted, I'm more tech-centered than most members of the church (being a web programmer will do that), but having a site where paying members can log in and read the material online is a win-win all the way around. Plus, it's more cost-effective; the cost of dead trees keeps going up, but the cost of digital storage keeps going down. Much wider profit margin.

2) Why does it have to make money? Does every effort at edification have to be at the expense of the one being edified?

The magazine/"brotherhood paper" model is an artifact of the 19th century. It's another thing I point to when I say we're an 8-track brotherhood in an MP3 world (though, granted, I don't think they had 8-tracks in the 19th century).

Alan said...

My point about making money wasn't directed at profit, but rather at simply having enough money coming in to stay afloat. I'm sure Focus has never made money (FWIW, National Review never has, either).

Your thoughts on a web magazine are well taken. Perhaps it's a model worth exploring...

Dr. Horrible said...

If staying afloat is an issue, adding a web-based subscription option to underwrite the dead tree subscriptions would seem to be a win-win. Dead trees get more expensive each year; digital storage drops in price.

A web magazine? Yeah, have to see about that. ;)