Thursday, November 18, 2004

FROM ALABAMA TO HEAVEN

In one of those stories that would probably only fly in Alabama, our local NBC affiliate has been doing a four part series on "How Do You Get To Heaven". He's asking representatives of four faiths: a Catholic, a Jew, a Muslim and a Southern Baptist (lots of those around here). You can read the Catholic answer and the Jewish version. I'll post links to the Muslim and Baptist answers as they become available.

What has struck me in the segments is the focus on what is essentially works salvation. Yes, I too believe God will judge us on our earthly deeds. But I can tell you, if that's all I've got to go on then I'm in big trouble.

I will say, I was at least pleased the Muslim was willing to stand up for the uniqueness of his faith. So far everyone else has peddled some version of the "God's got a place for everyone" line.

1 comment:

Rev. Mike said...

Now, now, Alan ... surely you know as a person living in the Southeastern U.S. that regardless of one's faith, one's understanding of the trip from Alabama to heaven will only be correct if it includes the requisite change of Delta flight in Atlanta! ;)