Tuesday, April 27, 2004

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

A group is planning a trip to Turkey in hopes of finding Noah's Ark:
A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous trek up Turkey’s tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet (5,430 meters), from July 15 to Aug. 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock—The Trinity Corp. of Honolulu, Hawaii.

The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long (14 by 23 by 138 meters) that was exposed in part by last summer’s heat wave in Europe.

Of course, people have been going to Ararat for decades hoping to find the ark. I remember when I was just a little kid going to theaters and watching a docu-movie about an expedition to Ararat. No one has come back with anything that could be substantiated yet.

I hope they find it. I do believe that Noah's ark came to rest on "the mountains of Ararat." That doesn't necessarily mean this Mount Ararat, of course. I'm not going to hold my breath.


Also at MSNBC:
Mummies everywhere

Smithsonian Roman villa exhibit.

No comments: