Monday, December 23, 2002

FOR LATE SHOPPERS...

The latest in the prestigious Barbie line is the new Lingerie Barbie complete with garters and stiletto heels. Or as the promotional material has it:

Barbie exudes a flirtatious attitude in her heavenly merry widow bustier ensemble accented with intricate lace and matching peekaboo peignoir.

Ah, what every young girl needs.

The problem with this isn't hard to see as Deborah Roffman notes:

One 10-year-old in my class wasn't buying any of it. He told me last week he'd actually been given one of the dolls by a 5-year-old cousin who had tired of it. "She gives me lots of toys she doesn't want," he said. "Most of them I give to charity. But not this one, no way. I threw it in the river. No child should play with something like that. They'll get all the wrong ideas."

Wrong ideas, indeed!

We need to get back to letting children act like children, not like miniature adults. They need more teddy bears and fewer lace teddies.

No comments: