Monday, December 16, 2002

WHO WANTS TO BE A SHEEP?

In an article on the fall of Catholic Cardinal Law, I ran across this quote about those who helped bring him down:

...parishioners with doctorates won’t be treated, as Muller puts it, “like sheep.” Post, the VOTF president, is a professor of management at Boston University and not one to be intimidated by authority any more than Muller is.


Now it was high time the 'laity' demanded a house cleaning in Boston, but this attitude is disturbing, particularly the way it's worded. I'm not a Catholic and have profound and fundamental problems with their doctrines and practices, but if you are a Catholic recognizing the authority of its hierarchy and institutions is what you signed up for. Either you believe the Pope is a modern day apostle or you don't. If you don't (I don't) it seems you have little business actually being a Catholic.

Now that aside, this attitude that those 'with doctorates won't be treated "like sheep"' is troublesome. Jesus very explicitly uses Shepherd and sheep imagery to describe Himself and His followers. 'I am the Good Shepherd,' He said. (John 10:11) He is the Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. But that entails that I be His sheep--I'm to put total trust in Him and His direction based on what He has done for me. A doctorate--or any other human accomplishment--doesn't obviate my dependence on Him. 'If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, he must become foolish, so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of the world is foolishness before God.' (1 Cor. 18-19)

If I am worthy to be called a sheep of Christ, then that's all I can ask.

No comments: