Monday, November 25, 2002

WWJD REDUX

The What Would Jesus Drive silliness has reopened debate about the entire WWJD idea; the original WWJD--What Would Jesus Do? Is the latter a valid question?

I think that reaction against the faddishness of it all is quite healthy. Any time religion becomes a fashion statement we're missing the point, whether it's a WWJD bracelet, a crucifix dangling furtively above decolletage or the latest religious logo-spoof t-shirt. WWJD was hip, but these days it's lost some of its hep factor. The kids have moved on.

A friend of mine told me once 'What Would Jesus Do?' isn't the the right question, but rather 'What Jesus Did', i.e., what He accomplished on the cross. I certainly agree that everything rests on what was accomplished on the cross. If Jesus hadn't died for my sins and raised again on the third day what He taught and did would be of no concern to me.

In regard to the WWJD question, Donald Sensing at One Hand Clapping (link above) writes:

It is impossible for me to live's Christ's life, nor can I meaningfully imagine Jesus leading my life . At best, I can hope to live a Christly life. But that makes the question not, WWJD, but "WWJHMD" - what would Jesus have me do?


There's quite a bit of truth there, I think. But just as Thomas a Kempis titled his book The Imitation of Christ, I do think that imitation of Christ--what would He do?--is relevant. Jesus said, 'If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.' (John 14:15) But the very life Jesus led was an example of perfect living. It is to be emulated.

Then Jesus said to His disciples, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.' Matthew 16:24

Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ. --1 Cor. 11:1

For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps.... --1 Peter 2:21

I think 'what would Jesus do?' is a legitimate question in our lives. But I certainly understand the problems with What Would Jesus Do?

No comments: