Monday, January 13, 2003

WHAT'S GOIN' ON IN THE OLD FOLKS HOME?

I saw my 90+ great-aunt last weekend for the first time in quite awhile. Before I started school and after my Mom had gone back to teaching I spent days with my uncle and her, fond memories all. She now stays in an 'assisted care facility', i.e., an old folks home.

Although generally as happy as she could be in that situation, she mentioned to me her shock at the amount of...er, 'extra-curricular activities' that go on there. 'You'd think old people would know how to behave,' she said. 'But I think they're worse than young people.' I doubt they're worse, it's just that she has regular exposure to it. But as I told her, I'd say that younger people who don't know how to behave themselves usually become older people who don't know how to behave themselves.

No comments: