Thursday, June 29, 2006

TRANSLATE OR INTERPRET?

Drew Kizer tells us that he has stirred up the hornet's nest with his fine post on approaching Psalm 8:4-5. It's quite a tale of translation philosophy, editorial whim and a KJV only advocate more than has his say in comments (honestly, my eyes glazed over after about the second paragraph, but I'm sure it was a stirring defense of which King James would have been proud).

It all revolves around Psalm 8:4-5 and the proper rendering of elohim, whether 'angels', 'God' or 'heavenly beings'. His conclusion--rightly--is to favor a stricter rendering, which in this case is not the traditional 'angels' but rather the English Standard's 'heavenly beings' (the NASB's 'God' is likewise more strictly correct).

The new English Standard Version has made a very useful contribution to the constantly swelling Bible translation ranks. I've been impressed with it during the limited use I've given my copy. I'm not quite ready to jump ship on my NASB-u for my pulpit Bible, but I may consider it in the future. I know Shane Scott has already made the switch, but I'll still consider it anyway.

No comments: