Friday, June 30, 2006

THE WINKLER MOTIVE has been released, and it was over money. Apparently Mary Winkler was the victim of a Nigerian money scam:
Winkler said she and her husband had argued throughout the evening about several things, including family finances. The problems were "mostly my fault," she said, because she was in charge of keeping the family books.

"He had really been on me lately criticizing me for things — the way I walk, I eat, everything. It was just building up to a point. I was tired of it. I guess I got to a point and snapped," Booth read to the court.

Booth said that shortly before the killing, Mary Winkler had shifted money between at least two banks in what he described as a "check kiting" scam. She deposited checks totaling $17,500 in family bank accounts from unidentified sources in Canada and Nigeria, he said.

The checks and money exchanges were not detailed in court, but defense lawyers said Mary Winkler was the victim of a financial scam.

Of course, other issue apparently were involved, but a Nigerian money scam? Oh, my.

No comments: